01 December 2010

oh well...

I was so proud of myself.

I had all my Advent activities laid out. I checked dates, I bought stickers.

And I couldn't find my calendar anywhere. Anywhere. I scoured the cellar. I checked the hall stash. I tore apart my terrible sewing room. Nowhere to be found.

I had a tiny meltdown.

I love that thing too much. I didn't want to not have one. I really didn't like the thought of buying one. And my sewing machine is still broken.

So last night I cut and hot glued another one together.

paper advent 1


I don't hate it. I do think it needs something though. Maybe a border? A big "2010" up top? I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

The idea came from this one at Craftastica ( via crafty crow )

My pockets aren't as fancy as hers because we're potty training and mama's patience was thin by this point in the day. And, yeah, this was yesterday. Not a whole lot of time to fool around, haha!

paper advent 2


Activities this year area lot of crafts, since the boys are currently obsessed with glue. I'm going to go ahead and give you our whole list. Maybe you might like on of them?

1. Build an Advent Wreath( we save our candles year to year )
2. Bake Snowball Cookies.
3. Decorate Uncle Regis' tree.
4. Go Pick a Christmas Tree.
5. Make a wreath to hang.

6. Write letters to Santa
7. Flashlight time outside after dinner.
8. Decorate Foam trees( bought on clearance last year) with stickers.
9. Bake a snowman cake.
10. Write to our Sponsored Child and send a Xmas tree photo.

11. Make s'mores! Did you see Bakerella's yummo looking ones?
12. Gnome Bowling!( I can't even tell you how silly that phrase makes me! )
13. Make Cards for friends.
14. Make salt dough ornaments.
15. Buy food for the local food pantry.

16. Build a gingerbread house with Uncle Regis!
17. LaSalette!
18. Pastry Buffet at a friend's house.
19. Take a ride to see all the Christmas lights.
20. Build a popsicle-stick stable.

21. Paper Angel. Read the story of the Angel first visiting Mary.
22. Paper Joseph Mary and Donkey for our stable. Read the story of the trip to Bethlehem.
23. Bake cookies for Santa.( probably these. I LOVE them.)
24. Visit Family and PARTY!
25. ( there's no # 25 pocket, we'll just fake it. ) Paper Baby Jesus in the manger. Read the Christmas Story.

paper advent 3


Do you have an Advent or Countdown Calendar? What kinds of activities are the best received in your house?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think both advent calendars are lovely. That's a bummer that you can't find the other one you made. But you did a great job on this one!
Have fun with all the activities! :)

(Growing up we always got the ones with chocolate in them. And we have an old cloth one that has a little mouse you move to each pocket/day.)

Laura said...

So disappointing you couldn't find your already made calendar but I love this one! Yes, I think a border or something would add to it. Painted cardboard perhaps? Anyways I love how you used (I'm assuming here) used magazine pages. I'm currently loving reusing magazine pages! Very nice!

marymary said...

Glitter.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Impressed that you did it at all. Somedays I feel like a bad mom because I totally skip this tradition. I can't deal with the growing excitement that would come with it. I have impatient children.

kate of here we are together said...

Wow, that looks great. It's a shame you didn't find what you were looking for, but wow,you have a lot of energy!
(& I love all the activities!)